This paleo coconut chicken recipe is perfect if you want delicious crunchy, strips of chicken. They’re pretty straightforward and only require three very simple ingredients. If you’re not a fan of coconut, then you might want to give these a skip as they have a very strong coconut flavor to them.
Personally, I enjoy eating these crunchy strips of chicken with some paleo friendly ranch dressing. They also go great with a green salad and a salad dressing such as olive oil or the ranch dressing I just mentioned. They also go well with some herby sweet potato fries as a side.
Now in this recipe, I fry the chicken strips, but you can also do them in the oven instead. If you want to cook them in the oven, then just check out my notes in the cooking tips section on this page.
You can season these with other seasonings than just salt. I haven’t given it a go personally, but something like cayenne, paprika or even some chili flakes might take these coconut crusted chicken strips to a whole new level.
If you want to see how to do this recipe visually, then be sure to check out the video below. It goes through all the steps to getting this prepared and cooked up. If you love the video, and want to see more then be sure to subscribe.
Paleo Coconut Chicken Recipe
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Salt & pepper
- First, cut the chicken breasts into strips.
- Using a heavy object such as the bottom of a pot or a meat tenderizer beat the chicken out until it is an even thickness.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl.
- In a different bowl, add the shredded coconut.
- Dip the chicken into the bowl of egg and then into the bowl of shredded coconut.
- Repeat until you have coated all the chicken strips then place to the side.
- In a pan over medium heat, add about 4 Tbsp. of coconut oil.
- Once the oil has heated, add the coated chicken.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Once golden brown and the chicken is cooked all the way through, remove from the pan.
- Serve & Enjoy
- If you don’t want fry these, then you can instead bake them in the oven. I recommend placing them in the oven and cooking for about 10-15 minutes at 200°C/400°F.
- Cooking time will vary depending on how thick the pieces of chicken are. Be careful as is if they are too thick then they will not cook all the way through.
- When you go to fry, these chicken strips try and make sure you don’t play around with them too much otherwise the coating will start falling off. Personally, I try only to flip once.
- When you're frying the chicken strips, try to keep the pan at medium heat as any higher, and you will find the coconut will start to burn.
- You can check to see if the chicken is cooked by either cutting them open or by using a meat thermometer. The internal temperature should be at least 75°C/165°F
Now if you’re curious about how much these tasty coconut chicken strips will impact your diet, then you can find all the nutritional information below. This information is an estimate but will hopefully give you a good idea of whether you want to eat these. Keep in mind it doesn’t include any extra condiments that you might have with it.
If you’re not a coconut fan but want a fried/coated chicken recipe, then be sure to check out my recipe for some delicious paleo friendly fried chicken. The recipe is very similar, but you instead get lovely crunchy almond coated chicken instead.
I hope you have been able to cook up this paleo coconut chicken recipe up without any issues. If you have some feedback, variations or anything else that you would love to share, then please feel free to leave a comment below.